Dissertation Question: Choose 4 out of these 24 questions and state your viewpoint.
- Course on Corporate Social Responsibility by Anh Tho Andres, click here
- Read my series on BE GOOD on LinkedIN
- View the Dalai Lama’s recommendation on Compassionate Ethics on Difficult Times. Click here.
- CSR topics on Learn with YouTube: Click here
Length: about 300 words (One A4 page for each question answered)
Deadline: extended to 31 December for 01-14 and 31January 2014 for 02-14
1. What historical trends have affected the social responsibilities of business? How have recent scandals affected the business climate, including any changes in responsibilities and expectations?
2. Consider the role that various business disciplines, including marketing, finance, accounting, and human resources, have in social responsibility. What specific views and philosophies do these different disciplines bring to the implementation of social responsibility?
3. How do legitimacy, urgency, and power attributes positively and negatively affect a stakeholder’s ability to develop relationships with organizations?
4. What is reputation management? Explain why companies are concerned about their reputation and its effects on stakeholders. What are the four elements of reputation management? Why is it important to manage these elements?
5. What role does executive compensation play in risk-taking and accountability? Why do some people partially blame compensation for the failures of the subprime mortgage and financial industries in 2008-2009?
6. Why are internal controls and risk management important in corporate governance? Describe three approaches organizations may take to managing risk.
7. How do political action committees influence society, and what is their appropriate role in a democratic society?
8. Why should an organization implement the Federal Sentencing Guidelines for Organizations (FSGO) as a strategic approach for legal compliance?
9. What are the potential benefits of an emphasis on procedural justice?
10. Why are we seeing more evidence of widespread ethical dilemmas within organizations?
11. What is a code of conduct and how can a code be communicated effectively to employees?
12. What role does leadership play in influencing organizational behavior?
13. Describe the differences between workplace diversity and equal employment opportunity. How do these differences affect managerial responsibilities and the development of social responsibility programs?
14. Why are organizations developing work-life programs? What trends have contributed to these programs?
15. How can companies strive for successful relationships with consumers, including meeting their economic, legal, ethical, and philanthropic expectations?
16. How will consumer rights and activism change over the next decade? Will the movement strengthen or decline? Why?
17. What role does top management play in developing and implementing a strategic philanthropy approach?
18. Describe the four-stage process for planning and implementing strategic philanthropy.
19. Many people believe that the government should regulate business with respect to privacy online, but companies say self-regulation is more appropriate. Which approach would most benefit consumers most? Business?
20. How can a strategic technology assessment help a company?
21. Think of instances of greenwashing that you have encountered. What is the harm of greenwashing?
22. What federal laws seem to have the greatest impact on business efforts to be environmentally responsible?
23. How can organizations create stronger engagement with employees? What would be the effects on social responsibility? How would social responsibility affect engagement?
24. What is national competitiveness? Describe the ways in which the three drivers of the Responsible Competitiveness Index (RCI) affect business and vice versa.